It is of the ideal importance that any wound that needs surgery is rapidly secure. This in collusion with healing of skin defects both acute and chronic are important parts for wound medical.
To heal a wound properly and quickly it is best if that wound is closed professionals surgical standards as fast as possible after an automobile accident.
This procedure is however, restricted to wounds and regions that permit excision and adaptation of wound borders to close the wound by primary intention and restructuring of the skin continuity.
It is unfortunate that till the very first 1980s have been very few products available in the market for wound care bedsides traditional dressings (eg, gauze-based products) and paste (eg, zinc paste) bandages.
The modern dressing, as you may know it, appeared on the scene the actual world mid 1980s. These had two characteristics they combined. One, they had moisture keeping and absorbing properties (eg, polyurethane foams, hydrocolloids) or they combined moisture maintaining antibacterial properties (eg, iod-containing gels).
Then the particular mid for the 1990s, the surgical regarding dressings expanded into reputable product groups such as:
- vapor-permeable adhesive films
- alginates, and synthetic foam dressings.
In addition to this a new group of merchandise also became available within the market such as:
- silicone meshes
- tissue adhesives
- barrier films
- silver- or collagen-containing dressings
Then came the end of the 1990s, it had been the time that the actual marketplace saw mixture of products and engineered skin substitutes being introduced. Till the end of 2002 had been various dressings that were designed and sold. The trend today is we now have a decreasing number of product categories which are approved by authorities in Europe plus in the U . s. This is helping creating the wound dressing market more translucent.
As minimum standard, the best wound dressing should are reinforced by the following characteristics:
- 4 to 5 provide both mechanical and bacterial protection
- The dressing should maintain a moist surrounding at the interface belonging to the wound and dressing
- Should have the opportunity to allow exchange of gases and fluids
- Really should not adherent towards wound
- End up being safe incorporated with this. i.e. Nontoxic, non-sensitizing, and non-allergic (to the patient and medical personnel)
- Should have the sign of being highly absorbent
- It ought to absorb wound odor
- In order to be sterile
- It must be available from a range of forms and sizes